Sunday, February 25, 2007

Why I Love Living In The Midwest



In the midwest, rain can be used so many different ways. Sometimes, it's just rain. Other times, it comes down as snow. Then, there are times like today when precipitation demonstrates the depth of its creativity and comes down as both rain AND snow at the same time. It's called sleet or 'freezing rain' and it is glorious to behold.

As a layer of ice coats everything in my home state of Indiana, I'm sitting here in a New York airport wondering if I'll be able to get home. New York has about three thousand inches of snow right now. The locals tell me that's a little less than they usually have this time of year. But they can function in the snow. They're used to it and have the means to deal with it. They are, I believe, bored with it.

How can you get bored with freezing rain? It's like the Russian Roulette of snowfall. Do I get out the salt? Do i send out the plows? Nope it's just rain...wait a minute...it's starting to freeze...hold on...no...it's just raining.

This is why I love the midwest. You never know for sure what you're going to get. I wouldn't be surprised if a volcano erupted in downtown Indy. That'll probably happen as soon as the ice melts off the runway and I'm scheduled to leave New York...





powered by performancing firefox

No comments: