Friday, April 03, 2009

Spear pulled from Brazilian's brain

The headline only tells part of the story.  The rest of the story is: Surgeons successfully removed a 6-inch fishing spear from the brain of a man who was struck while diving off the coast of Rio de Janeiro.

According to the article, the man fired the spear which ricocheted off rocks and struck him in his head. Family said the spear was so deep, only the tip was showing.  Doctors said, it missed the "most critical areas of his brain" and he should suffer "no lasting damage".

It would disturb me to know that any part of my brain could be penetrated by a spear and it wouldn't be critical.  I'd be upset if doctors removed a spear from my head and I suffered no lasting damage.

"John had a spear in his skull."
"Really?  I couldn't tell."



No comments: